Our geography curriculum is designed to develop children’s curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Children investigate a range of places – both in Britain and abroad – to help develop their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes. We are committed to providing children with opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their local area of Aughton and Rotherham so that they can develop of real sense of who they are, their heritage and what makes our local area unique and special. We also developing the children’s ability to apply geographical skills to enable to confidently communicate their findings and geographical understanding to a range of audiences.
Through high quality teaching, we develop:
- knowledge of where places are and what they are like, both in Britain and the wider world;
- an understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected;
- geographical knowledge and vocabulary;
- the ability to carry out geographical enquiries and the ability to apply questioning skills, as well as effective presentation techniques;
- the ability to reach conclusions and explain their findings;
- excellent fieldwork skills as well as other geographical aptitudes and techniques;
- the ability to express balanced opinions, using their knowledge and understanding about current issues in society and the environment;
- an interest in the subject and a real sense of curiosity about the world and the people who live here.